Friday, November 4, 2011

Enjoyable time in Seattle with Friends and Family!




Hello from Seattle,
I am off to Assembly tomorrow for CSJP and Tuesday will return to Guatemala. It has been quiet time in ways, but also relaxing. I had hoped to sell more crafts but I did ok so far and hope to share at assembly this weekend. I was able to witness to OCCUPY TACOMA, a large city near Seattle, with good Jesuit Friend BIX. I understand better the reality of the economic crisis and how even in our country the wealthy are dominating and health and education needs and unemployment are very real to the people here too. Unfortunately because of the economic crisis we have suffered greatly with a decrease in donations for our work in the Clinica Maxena. We ask for prayers and donations.

Last evening I was with a very good friend who was hosting a Indigenous delegation from Chiapas, Mexico in Seattle. It was enjoyable to share with them and know a little of their efforts also with sustainable agriculture. These projects give hope to the people and good for the Mayans to return to plant Mother Earth.

Last weekend I was with dear Guatemalan friends, Juan and Carlos, Carlos's wife Maggie and long time friend Linda. We work and played together many years in solidarity with the struggle for Justice in Guatemala, with many folk in Seattle, with a national affiliated group, GUASO, and a non profit weaving group for cooperatives, EL QUETZAL.

Tonight I am with my niece Patty and her husband Craig. I am very grateful for the hospitality of good friends Margy and Jerry who have visited our Mission. Jerry is an organic farmer who has provided seeds and knowledge with our agriculture team of the Clinica Maxena.

I am looking forward to sharing with the Sisters and Associates this weekend of the CSJP. I am also looking forward to return home to Guatemala on Tuesday. COCO is waiting for me.

Blessings. Sheila

Pictures include photo with BIX, SJ. Fr Bix is awaiting prison for protest for abolition of Nuclear arms. Myself, Carlos and Juan, Guatemalans, living in Seattle. AND there is COCO waiting for me to come HOME!