Sunday, January 22, 2012

At last little BUNNIES for our Sustainable Agriculture Project for Malnourished Children and Infants!


Friends and Family,
I do like furry friends and I was getting a little frustrated waiting for more bunnies to join the family. Weeks ago I was told by my agriculture worker that the new bunnies were in the cave, which the other bunnies had dug for them; they assured me they would come out when they were a little bigger. OK. I waited. I had asked for some extra bunnies just in case it was not true and the female bunny did not like her mate. Well today three little bunnies ventured out into the pen; one pretty white one and two others so I am happy!

The bunnies are part of our sustainable agricultural project for our nutrition project for malnourished children. I will enjoy them for now and I am sure they will all have names.
Our organic chickens are doing well, laying eggs but no little chickens hatching; more promises. I am not a farm girl so I have to read up about these creatures habits. The demonstration garden is being weeded and ready to plant again.

Tomorrow is first Nutrition gathering of moms with malnourished children for 2012, to monitor their weights and recuperation. Also, we have on the agenda, to assign two plots in the demonstration garden, to the mothers. We are inviting also the dads to see their interest and possibility to have a small garden near their home. One of our workers brother is an agronomist and has volunteered assessment, advice and supervision of small gardens in communities to these families.

Tuesday; February 24, 2012
Today only ten moms and infants came to the class; This was expected since not all would have received the word of first meeting. Today, the infants under one year came to class and check up with Doctor Ever. Later in the month is scheduled class and weights for children, 1 year to 5 years.

Planting is contagious. I was happy that some of our workers, who we had to decrease to 50% for financial reasons, have formed a agricultural association, and are planting on their own. They are planting the herb BERRO, corn, and also talking of a forming a fish pond, near the river.

I attach a photo of twins that weighed less than four pounds at birth. The mother is severely handicapped with cerebral palsy. We were happy today to see their progress as they came for the nutrition class. The twins, Deisy and Alecio now weigh 9 and 9.5 pounds! The Clinica Maxeña's Nutrition Project has provided them with formula since birth.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT. 2.5 pounds of baby formula cost $17.
You can donate on line at: http://catalog.diocesehelena.org/Guatemala-Mission-c10/
Note for the Clinica Maxeña

Sheila